Sunday, March 17, 2013

A new home


A few days ago the Aunt of Nayeli, Denadi, Michele, and Josue decided to take all 4 kids in. AMAZING. I almost fell to my knees. All 4 children. What a blessing. I love that she cares so deeply for these kids.



It’s 8 AM and I arrive at the kids’ house. There they are, the parents and the kids, ready to go. However, the parents weren’t going to go with us. Miladys came along to help me move the kids to Jutiapa. I had bought them a backpack full of food to get them started off in their new home. I had their uniforms, school supplies, shoes, toothbrushes, and toothpaste. There we were, Miladys and I with the four kids. My backpack full of supplies and the kids had one suitcase with all their belongings in it. We waited in silence for the bus to drive by. No one made eye contact with anyone. Fanny and Danillo said a teary goodbye. Even Miladys cried. I cant imagine what saying goodbye to your kids like that would be like, and I hope I never do. Michele hugged me. Wouldn’t let go. She had her arms wrapped around me and rested her head on me. I ran my hand over her tangly, dirty, rough hair. We got on the bus and began our trip to their new home.

Once in Jutiapa the Aunt, Berta greeted us with big hugs. The kids immediately began to play. Josue was playing with another little girl about his age. He was happy. One of Berta’s sons was there, 12 years old, he began a game of ball in the backyard. A few neighborhood kids came out to play. My heart was so, so happy.

Miladys and I sat and talked with Berta, and began to help her make lunch. I expressed how appreciative I was and that even if the parents didn’t say it, “thank you” on their behalf. She was telling us how her family was excited to have the kids come. Even her two sons. The 12 year old, had been asking all morning, are they here yet? When will they get here? How much longer? Shouldn’t they be here by now?

Lunch was served. Rice, pasta, guineo (unripe green banana). Everyone was happy and full. Which only meant it was bathroom time. However, for Josue that meant taking his pants off and pooping in the side yard by crouching down. “NO JOSUE, NOT THERE!” I yelled. I told Berta I was sorry for how they behaved and she would need to work on that little by little. She understood. “That will all change, Catalina”.

We said our goodbyes. I told the kids I loved them and I was proud of them. I would be back. I was happy. I wasn’t sad because I knew I couldn’t be. This is where they needed to be! I couldn’t have been happier. 

Here are these precious children:


Nayeli: Nayeli will go far. She did good in school last year and will be entering second grade this year. I am happy for her. She is a smart 10 year old girl and deserves so much more.


Denadi: An 8 year old with way too much responsibility. She has a cute dark complexion and skinny little body, with a beautiful smile! She has learned way too much from her mother, and needs to learn to just be 8! Denadi will be entering first grade this year!


Michele: Where’s Michele? Oh yeah, grabbing onto my shirt. She is always latched onto someone. She doesn’t talk much and may have a learning disability. Michele is 6 and will be entering Kindergarten!


Josue: The cutest 3 year old you have ever seen. He is so lovable and loves, loves, loves the attention. How can you not give him all your love? Josue will be keeping Berta’s hands full!

I am currently looking for sponsors for these four children. At 50 dollars a month per child, this will provide everything needed, from school supplies and fees, food, medicine, clothes, etc. I am in constant communication with Berta and the family. I will be checking up on the kids, visiting them, and making sure they are in a good place. Please keep these kids in your prayers. Please help me find sponsors. Contact me at katem602@gmail.com if you or someone you know would like to support or help support one of these children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment