Tuesday, March 12, 2013

looking for help


It was Sunday evening and Denadi (8 years old) runs up to me “Tomorrow Im going to school, Catalina! My Mom says tomorrow Im going to school!” She was so excited. She was telling me all about her shoes that she washed herself, her school supplies and uniform. I was so happy. I thought to myself finally. Fanny (the mother) had told me Monday they would start. That she would have everything she needed by Monday. Also happening on Monday I had planned to go to Jutiapa (2.5 hours away) with Nayeli (10 years old) to get her school transfer papers. I would have to take Nayeli with me since I do not know the area. This was good. Things were moving along. Even though the parents are showing no interest in their kids education, I had things moving forward. Up until today, I have still not received a thank you.

Monday morning comes along, I wake up at 6 am, get ready and head off to Nayeli’s house to pick her up for the bus. There is Denadi.

Me: Denadi, why aren’t you in school?
Denadi: My mom says I can’t go today
Me: Why not? Last night, everything was ready to go and you were scheduled to go to classes today
Denadi: I have to take care of Michele (6 years old) and Josue (3 years old)
Me: Where is your dad?
Denadi: Sleeping.

SLEEPING. The father was sleeping. Denadi should have been in school but she had to take care of her siblings. She is 8 years old.

So, Nayeli and I board the bus and head to Jutiapa. Nayeli gets car sick and throws up. Then the bus breaks down and were stranded for a bit. What else?, I thought to myself. 

We arrive in Jutiapa and Nayeli leads me to her Aunt’s house. Nice lady she is. She lives in a nice house, has two children of her own who are in high school. This is where Nayeli lived last year. She went to school here. She was well taken care of, was fed, and did well in her classes. The aunt didn’t want her to leave but Fanny came and took her back. The aunt knew that if Nayeli went back home, she wouldn’t be in school. And, she wasn’t. The aunt was right. We got to talking about Fanny and Danillo and I asked what would need to happen to have Nayeli and the other kids come live with her. She laughed and said she couldn’t take in 4 children. Which I understood. Conversation went on and she thought maybe extended family could take in the kids as well. One child to each home. All the extended family, aunts, grandparents, cousins, all live there, in Jutiapa. Maybe that could be a solution? However the Aunt explained to me that no matter how much she might want the kids to come to Jutiapa, it depended on Fanny and she didn’t think Fanny wanted the kids there. So I left the conversation at that. We got Nayeli’s school papers and were on our way.
Back in La Ceiba I bought her school uniform (thanks Anne Fowler!) and shoes. She was so excited! To see the look on her face when she tried on the new shoes was priceless. She lit up. We then headed back to El Porvenir.

That night I came over to talk to Fanny and Danillo about registering Nayeli in school the next day and to ask why Denadi didn’t go. Nayeli must have told Fanny that the Aunt wants the kids to go to Jutiapa. We started to talk about that. That conversation just turned into Danillo accusing Fanny of things and Fanny accusing Danillo of things. Fanny talked about how he spent money on cocaine and never helped to buy food for the children. Danillo came back saying Fanny buys alcohol and sleeps around with men. (This is all happening in front of the kids). It got worse. Each was trying to prove their point and make the other look like the bad guy. I had to stop the argument quick. We got back on the conversation about sending the kids to Jutiapa. Basically they both agreed that was the best choice. Danillo said he doesn’t care if the kids go to Jutiapa because he knows it’s the best decision. (This also means that he will probably never see his kids for many years because Fanny’s family will not allow him to come visit). So we call the aunt to see what she says. She will have to talk to her husband. I told her I believe that there is no other option than the orphanage for the kids. They can’t stay where they are. A 10 year old should not be in charge of cooking rice for lunch because her parents left them home alone. A 8 year old should not have to care for a 6 and 3 year old because her parents are not responsible. They have to go. I told the Aunt I would help in any way I could. I told her I would find people to support them. She would not be alone.

Fanny begins to cry. Little Josue was asleep on the bed and I saw her glance over to him. She breaks down. I hug her and tell her I know this is hard. No matter how much it might hurt her, she is doing the right thing. The kids begin to cry. It took everything in me to keep myself together. I love those kids and I only want what is best for them. I said I was sorry for getting into their personal lives but I had to. I told the kids they could be mad at me. Nayeli stopped crying and looked up at her dad and said “NO, IM MAD AT YOU.” My throat closed up.

Left to right: Denadi, Nayeli, Rossel, Michele and little Josue at the bottom. 


I would like to end this blog by asking for your help. I will be talking to the Aunt soon to see what she has decided. I will need to tell her how much I am able to support her and children. This will be monthly support for 4 children. I will be talking to a few families in town to get a better idea of how much is needed to raise a family in Honduras. I am currently looking for 4 sponsors. If you, or someone you know is in a position to provide monthly support for these children, please contact me. I am not able to say how much will be needed for each child but please contact me if you are interested. This would be a huge blessing for the children, their parents and the families taking on this huge responsibility. I would be able to keep you in contact with the kids, send pictures and updates on how they are doing. Please pray for the situation and all those involved. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment